Monday, January 18, 2021

I've Been Disappointed in Myself. But What Does That Mean?

After the recent storming of our nation's Capitol, I've experienced some regret and dismay, regarding my own meager contributions toward more positive circumstances in the U.S. But I've also wondered: how could societies do a better job of preventing such calamities in the first place? It's one thing to express frustration when governments don't function well, and I believe we should. But attempts to destroy them is altogether another matter. It's certainly something I never expected to witness in my lifetime, here in my own country.  

Yet I've managed to shift from this generalized disappointment, to one more specific in nature. Why haven't I been more effective in the last 7+ years of blogging? Do seemingly lackluster results suggest I quit blogging and just call it a day? In spite of these concerns, I'd like to think the answer is no. While I'm occasionally tempted to disengage from it all, I hope to remain committed, involved, even stubborn if necessary. 

Still, it helps to remember that my main limitations are mostly age related. When I was young, I would hardly have confined myself indoors to write about supply side structural reform potential. I'd like to think that had I been aware of these issues decades earlier, my response would have included traveling across the country, while knocking on doors of those willing to listen to my ideas. At the very least, there's consolation in knowing I'm hardly alone in my age induced limitations. Many such as myself have gleaned practical tidbits of wisdom mostly in retrospect, after long slogs which occasionally included learning about life the hard way.

So how to proceed, given our most recent political impasse? For one, all citizens need a better understanding, how severe structural problems have contributed to our political reality. As a nation, we are increasingly constrained by land (place) and time scarcities which governments and inexplicably, even private citizens have yet to address. Today's fiscal policies in particular have been impacted. Unfortunately, neither Democrats or Republicans support fiscal policies which take existing land and time scarcities into consideration. Since both parties instead promote the most costly market options possible, Washington faces severe limits in its ability to function effectively for our knowledge centered economy. Is it any wonder that - due largely to lack of market integration for all income levels - both parties are now inclined to engage in mutual destruction?

Those of us who have not given up on humanity, will continue to seek means for stronger free markets and organizational systems which work well for all citizens. Granted, it won't always be easy, since there are few clear paths by which either individuals or groups can create positive change. Fortunately, there are individuals who will remain stubborn in their efforts to build a better world. Even though it's not easy for all of us to directly participate, we will stay engaged from the sidelines of our desks, while cheering on those who are willing to stay with the good fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment